Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Precious Stone

What are your special gifts and skills?  I’m not referring to your outward talents like singing, or drawing, and things that you can place on a resume.  I’m referring to intrinsic skills that make you someone special.  What is there about you that people who watch you moving through life say to themselves, “I want what he has”?  Do you wish you were more like someone else?  Whether a relative or a mentor or someone you never met – I’m willing to bet there are certain characteristics of some people that you would love to take on as your own.

A wise woman who was travelling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream.
The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.


The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.

But, a few days later, he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

“I’ve been thinking,” he said. “I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious.  Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone."

This man recognized the gift this woman had within her and he wanted it for himself.  Look around you.  There are always opportunities to grow and perhaps the person right next to you has something they can teach you today to help you do it.  Even more important what do you have within you that you can teach others just through the simple act of being yourself? 

No comments: